Saturday, January 31, 2009

This is Life




I search "artist," on googol and the first thing I see is this picture. No offense to Ron Luce, but this looks very much like one of his paintings, without the texture, without the fire, without the orange. I find that this is how we are going to do things. Oh, it will operate better, but I still think it will seem the same. Same as we seem?

I feel the art we made is growing weak. We need a new approach to some of the old problems. Some of that we formulated in the old year, but we are waiting for the New Year's installment. What is going to be the New Deal for synesthesia? What is our stimulus plan going to look like (can you believe this analogy???). I believe some outside input is due, but we're going to have to change things, to address what needs to be done. Time. Constraints, yes.

I think that the Louise Bourgeouis stuff is very important to moving forward. We look at art as so common. Common in the sense that it sets off a chain reaction of interexperience. Most art is instead so individual that we don't see most of what really happens. Maybe the fact that dvds come up with such elaborate explanations for how a movie was made is very interesting, but it no doubt dilutes what we view. Not that the images are any less meaningful, but we see not the secrets, but the individual experiences of those making it in the first place. Does this ruin the spell? Is Hollywood even art?

An amazing artist (in my humble opinion) once said that the greatest art of our time is on t.v., in H.B.O. I can't agree more. As a friend of mine would say, "If by art you mean crap."

Happy New Year in the broadest and boldest of ways! This is our challenge: can we shape things anew?

No comments: